William Hartley

(03/05/1746 - 25/07/1808)

377 people on file
You are not logged in
home | login | recover password
track this person

Details

pedigree
Born: 03/05/1746 at Barley Green, Lancashire Certified Father: John Hartley (00/00/1710 - 00/00/1763)
Died: 25/07/1808 Certified Mother:
Children: Susan Hartley (Died 09/09/1821)
John Hartley (15/06/1772 - 11/03/1848)
Robert Hartley (20/10/1773 - 29/05/1794)
James Hartley (12/03/1776 - 08/03/1831)
Richard Hartley (27/03/1777 - 31/08/1832)
Peggy Hartley (05/09/1779 - 13/12/1779)
Peter Hartley (05/09/1781 - 01/08/1848)
Margaret "Peggy" Hartley (09/12/1782 - 06/03/1844)
Elijah Hartley (26/01/1788 - 16/05/1788)
William Hartley (09/04/1789 - 29/09/1848)
Siblings: Robert Hartley (18/05/1731 - 05/12/1814)
John Hartley (00/05/1736 - 05/07/1795)
Lawrence Hartley (09/08/1740 - 00/00/1841)

Married:
Mary Robinson Certified

Notes

He was 64 when he died.
Occupation: Cotton Twist Spinner

He was a mill owner, and built two cotton factory mills in Barley, one at Narrowgates (a cotton twist mill) in 1799 and the other in Barley Green (around 1796). In its heyday in 1862, Barley Green Mill worked 200 looms but floods destroyed the building in 1880. The mill in Narrowgates still exists - as apartments. (Note: another source states the Narrowgates site is now the site of the water treatment plant. It may be the adjacent weavers cottages that still exist today.) He married Mary Robinson and had 10 children.


"General History of Barley

Barley, known as Barelegh in 1324, means the infertile lea or meadow. The Township of Barley included Barley Booth, Wheatley Booth and Hay Booth and Whitehalgh (now known as Whitehough) - “Booth” means cowsheds. About 1266 a cow farm was established, followed by extensive cattle breeding in the 13th Century. Barley earned its livelihood from agriculture until the 18th century when textiles were manufactured and handlooms were installed in attics of many smallholdings as an extra source of income. Barley’s brooks - as an effective source of waterpower attracted cotton factories. There was a small mill at Narrowgates and one at Barley Green, which is now the site of the water treatment plant. At its height Barley Green Mill worked 200 looms, until floods destroyed the building in 1880. A cotton twist mill at Narrowgates was built by William Hartley to spin cotton warp thread. Weavers cottages were built adjacent to the mill and are still occupied to this day." (Source: http://www.unitedutilities.com/?OBH=437&ID=827&AC=6)


"NARROWGATES MILL, BARLEY

Narrowgates Mill in Barley was built in 1799. in a will of 1808 William Hartley refers to ‘my new water mill’. The date for the 1799 build derives from a lease of land at Stang Laithe, Barley where he built the reservoir for the mill. This was for 999 years and started in 1799. William was dead in 1808 and had five sons, John, James, Richard, Peter and William. In 1810 the Hartley Brothers leased more land from Thomas Clayton for the reservoir. 1812. It looks as though the Hartley Brothers were liquidated by their creditors and by 1813 John Shaw had taken over the mill because he paid £27 for ‘inundating land’ when the dam was filled. The assumption is that he took over the mill from the Hartley creditors. In 1813 the mill was described as ‘That new built cotton mill called Narrowgates or New Mill being 25 yards long by 11 ¾ yards wide and four storeys high and two newly erected cottages near the said mill.’ In 1815 John Shaw sells the mill to John Moore of Burnley for £1500. John Moore later described as cotton dealer and corn merchant. In 1819 a water wheel was mentioned in a document but it is not clear whether this relates to Narrowgates or Barley Green. Mill occupied by John Moore. The property was surrendered to Richard Hartley and Ann Robinson. In 1829 by the will of Richard Hartley his half of the mill went to John Hartley as trustee of his estate. In a sale of 1834 the mill was described as ‘heretofore in the occupation of John Moore and after, of William Bennett, but now unoccupied.’ 1834 put up for sale by Mr Richard Hartley and Mrs Ann Robinson. In 1834 James Hargreaves Roberts buys Narrowgates Mill for £850. [See Barley Green Mill] Some property appears to have remained in Ann Robinson’s hands. She died in 1854. This estate essentially bought by Nelson Corporation in 1919 for £2400. In 1867 certain parts of the mill were described as having been recently destroyed by fire. At about this time the mill was transferred to Thomas Moorby who died on 18th of September 1874. In 1878 Elizabeth Ann, the widow of Thomas Moorby transferred the mill to her son John Moorby for £1608. Schedule of 1878 transfer refers to water wheel, steam engine, boiler and shafting. 1878 there is a surrender to Elizabeth Ann Moorby. [mortgage to Elizabeth Ann] In 1888, the Local Board for Nelson buys the mill from Elizabeth Ann Moorby [relict of Thomas Moorby] , the Mortgagee, and John Moorby for £6,000. [2004. Chris Aspin points out to me that a Moorby also had a mill at Musbury, Helmshore and a gravestone there records his burial at Downham] LTP transcript 78/AG/10 Page 14. Newton Pickles says that when J Pickles and Son did repairs in 1936 they had 70 looms, a national Gas engine and a Gilkes turbine ten feet tall and about 50hp. It had adjustable guide vanes with external linkage and governor. Cast steel shaft and a fabricated brass spinner. The spinner was damaged and Gilkes made a new one. They replaced the 10ft X 15ft wooden penstock with a CI tank and new grilles. New clow made for the dam. Newton said that at the time Adam Hargreaves was running the mill and that Mitchell of County Brook was his partner. In 1950 Nelson Corporation buys the site of the reservoir from the executors of Gertrude Hartley of Fence Gate for £185-12-6. Beyond this the mill passed into the hands of Mr Hayhurst of Nelson and was a private residence." (Souce: http://oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/forum_topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=487&FORUM_ID=7&CAT_ID=3&Topic_Title=WATERMILLS+AND+MANUFACTURERS&Forum_Title=Local+History)


"BARLEY MILL

1808. Barley Green Mill, Barley, Nelson. Will of William Hartley of Barley, cotton twist spinner. Leaves mill to John and Hugh Roberts of Thorneyholme [Barrowford?] in trust. 1819. Mention of a surrender to George and Thomas Holgate, bankers, by John Moore of Burnley. ‘A parcel of land in Barley Booth containing from N to S 14 yds and from E to W 15 yards and bound on the north by land belonging to Thomas Clayton Esq. On the S and W by waste and on E by land belonging to John Robinson of Barley on which certain cotton works have been erected.’ Also mentioned in the same surrender of 1819 are rights to a mill goyt to Ogden Water to convey water to the mill, a water wheel and a tail goyt. Grant of these rights was dated 1793. Date stone on the mill was ‘1795. William and Mary Hartley.’ In 1819 Barley Green Mill passed to George and Thomas Holgate. I have a reference saying that in 1824 George and Thomas Holgate were declared bankrupt. This mill came to be called ‘Barley Village Mill’ to distinguish it from Narrowgates in the same village. In 1835 James Hargreaves Roberts buys Barley Green Mill. In 1838 John Roberts and James Hargreaves Roberts traded as Roberts Bros and Co. Cotton Manufacturers at Habergham Eaves and in the Forest of Pendle. They dissolved the partnership and sold the mill, date unknown. John Roberts was described as cotton manufacturer of Habergham Eaves in an indenture of 1812. In 1834 (?) James Hargreaves Roberts dies and the mill is transferred to his sisters Jane and Nancy Roberts. Bob Hargreaves, in 1971 the oldest person in Barley said that in 1881 there was a cloudburst that destroyed the mill and bankrupted the owner and it ‘never turned a wheel again’." (Source: http://oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/forum_topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=487&FORUM_ID=7&CAT_ID=3&Topic_Title=WATERMILLS+AND+MANUFACTURERS&Forum_Title=Local+History)


Image Gallery

No images available

Census Details

No information available

Document Transcripts

No information available